"Raising the retirement age would inflict further hardship among a group of workers who are likely to face health and economic problems in their 60s." –Doug Hart, President, Arizona Alliance for Retired Americans
"Of all the lies and confusion that still surround the Affordable Care Act, perhaps the greatest is that it is bad for seniors." - Dave Meinell, President, Missouri Alliance for Retired Americans
"My father died when I was three. Because of Social Security (survivors) benefits, my Mom, my younger sister and I survived." – Diane Fleming, DC Alliance Member
"We fear that Congress will balance the budget on the backs of the 98 percent, which is working Montanans and retired Montanans. We simply cannot afford these devastating cuts to vital services such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid," –John Forkan, President, Montana Alliance for Retired Americans
"Along with national parks and Social Security, Medicare is one of the best ideas we Americans have ever devised." -Tim Cunningham, New Mexico Alliance Member
"Seniors have earned and deserve their Social Security checks, and they shouldn't have to go to Congress every 10 years and beg for the program to be renewed." –James Parent, Alliance for Retired Americans Regional Board Member
"Today's retirees paid Medicare and Social Security taxes in every paycheck we ever earned. Now that we are retired, these programs help us to be able to stay healthy and pay our bills. They are the promise we make to people who worked hard all their lives, and we need to keep that promise for today’s workers." –Tony Fransetta, former President, Florida Alliance for Retired Americans
"Today's seniors want to lower the budget deficit. We do not want a large debt to be the legacy we leave to future generations, but we should not punish people who have paid Social Security taxes all their lives." –Jim Moore, former President, North Carolina Alliance for Retired Americans
"Social Security should remain what it has been for 77 years – a solid, reliable way that generations of workers have been able to retire with dignity, economic security, and peace of mind." –Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
"The fight for Social Security and Medicare is part of a larger fight for justice and fairness"—Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
"The health insurance reform helps not just seniors, but also middle-class families and young Americans, who are just starting to see the benefits. Don’t let Republicans take all that away." –Don Rowen, President Emeritus, Iowa Alliance for Retired Americans
"Honoring the promise of Social Security and Medicare should not be a partisan issue. Honoring the contributions that we make throughout our working years so that we may feed and clothe ourselves, keep a roof over our heads and those of our family, there is no reason for that to be a hotly contested partisan issue." –Edward Coyle, former Executive Director, Alliance for Retired Americans
"We need to make sure that people who need Social Security to make ends meet will have it, and not fall victim to ill-informed and unnecessary cuts to these vital programs."
–Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
|Receive Email Updates and Friday Alerts|
The Alliance for Retired Americans Board of Directors has authority to make public policy as well as governance decisions. Since 2001, the Board has adopted resolutions on important issues for older Americans and their families. These Resolutions include Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drugs, housing, retiree health care, long-term care and pension and savings protections, among others.
- Against Corporate Attacks on Post-Retirement Healthcare Urges corporations to stop attacks on post-retirement health care, meet obligations to retired workers, and support health care for all
- Ensuring Retirement Security in America Supports defined benefit pension plans and efforts to improve the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income programs
- Honoring Ed Coyle Thanks founding Alliance Executive Director Ed Coyle for his lifelong leadership and wishes him the best in retirement
- Honoring Judy Cato Congratulates retiring Alliance Executive Vice President Judy Cato and thanks her for her many years of service
- Improving Social Security Benefits Supports the Strengthening Social Security Act and urges Members of Congress to co-sponsor the legislation and secure its passage
- In Favor of Enacting Postal Banking Urges the US Postal Service to expand banking access for undeserved populations by offering basic banking services
- Income Inequality Opposes tax reductions for corporations and the wealthiest Americans, calls for Wall Street to pay its fair share in taxes, and supports collective bargaining
- Medicare Turns 50 Recognizes the 50th anniversary of Medicare and announces a national campaign to educate Americans on the merits and successes of the Medicare program
- Mobilizing Seniors for the 2014 Election Commits the national Alliance and state affiliates to mobilize members for the fall election and distribute materials explaining what is at stake
- New Equal Dignified Access for All Recognizes the hardships of disabled Americans and urges Congress to support measures to place power doors in Post Offices and other federal buildings
- Older Americans Month Recognizes May as "Older Americans Month" and urges Congress to reauthorize the Older Americans Act
- Opposing the Agenda of the American Legislative Exchange Council- ALEC Opposes ALEC's agenda and supports a campaign to inform the public about ALEC and ALEC-linked politicians
- Opposing the Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision Opposes the GPO and WEP provisions of the Social Security Act and supports legislation to repeal them
- Save Senior Corp Urges Congress to reject proposals in the Administration's 2015 budget to dismantle senior corps programs and cut senior corps funding
- Social Security Field Office Closings and Service Cuts Supports legislation to place a moratorium on SSA field office closings and calls for pursuing efforts to restore SSA service delivery
- Support for Preserving the Senior Community Service Employment Program Urges Congress to preserve SCSEP by reauthorizing the Older Americans Act and restoring funding levels
- Social Security Supports maintaining a strong and vibrant Social Security program, and opposes harmful proposals including Chained CPI.
- Retirement Security Proposes the establishment of a more effecitve retirement system through strengthening pensions and Social Security
- Medicare Opposes cost shifting and means testing, supports an expanded Medicare program, and urges that Medicare Part D be provided by the traditional Medicare system
- Medicaid Supports the Affordable Care Act's Expansion of Medicaid and opposes mandatory spending or funding caps
- Older Americans Act Urges Congress to reauthorize the OAA with sufficient funding to reflect inflation and population growth
- Diversity Committee Establishes a permanent Diversity Committee of the Alliance for Retired Americans
- National Conference Resolutions From employment non-discrimination to preventing elder abuse, the Alliance addressed a variety of social issues at its 2010 Conference.
- Senate Majority Rule Urges the U.S. Senate to use filibusters only on extraordinary occasions, abolish anonymous holds, and allow a lower threshold to invoke cloture.
- Holding Down Energy Costs States that rising energy costs place a disproportionate burden on older Americans with fixed incomes, and urges Congress to enact legislation on a number of issues in order to lower energy prices.
- Second Economic Stimulus The Alliance supports an increase in the FMAP and emergency funding for the OAA, and calls upon Congress to enact a second stimulus package.
- Long Term Care Proposes a social insurance model for a long-term care system and supports increased funding for the Family Caregiver Support Program.
- Affordable Housing and Services for Older Americans Supports an increase in construction of senior housing with supportive services in order to meet the varied needs of seniors’ households.
- Medicare Supports a strengthened Medicare system that benefits both providers and beneficiaries and opposes any undermining of the program by turning it over to insurance companies.
- Medicare Part D Urges that Part D be provided through, and administrated by, the traditional Medicare system, and supports the negotiation of drug prices by Medicare.
- Medicaid Opposes changes in the current Medicare system and supports the continuation of guaranteed access to services for all those qualified.
- National Health Care Supports a universal health care system in the United States.
- Electronic Medical Records Urges Congress to enact legislation that would create a nationwide electronic medical records system.
- Health Care Price Transparency Supports the publicizing of prices charged by providers for health care services both online and by mail.
- Social Security Supports strengthening and improving the Social Security system, and opposes any increase in retirement age or erosion of benefits.
- Supplemental Security Income Supports policies that modernize the Supplemental Security Income program, such as increasing the federal benefit standard and staffing.
- Pensions and Retirement Savings Protections Urges Congress to enact protections for retirees against scams and illegal practices, and to provide law enforcement agencies the funding to protect seniors from wrongful practices.
- U.S. Budget and Tax Policy Supports tax and budget policies that restore fiscal discipline and balance, and opposes making the Bush tax cuts permanent.
- Older Americans Act Urges Congress to draft reauthorization legislation and pass this legislation in 2006, as well as provide appropriate funding levels that reflect inflation and population growth.
Workers' Right To Organize
- Workers' Right To Organize Supports passage of bipartisan legislation such as the Employee Free Choice Act and any efforts to protect workers from federal workplace rules that undermine collective bargaining agreements.
Right To Vote
- The Right to Vote Supports the expansion of early voting, vote by mail, and absentee ballots, as well as the availability of ballots for the disabled or visually impaired.