"Raising the retirement age would inflict further hardship among a group of workers who are likely to face health and economic problems in their 60s." –Doug Hart, President, Arizona Alliance for Retired Americans
"Of all the lies and confusion that still surround the Affordable Care Act, perhaps the greatest is that it is bad for seniors." - Dave Meinell, President, Missouri Alliance for Retired Americans
"My father died when I was three. Because of Social Security (survivors) benefits, my Mom, my younger sister and I survived." – Diane Fleming, DC Alliance Member
"We fear that Congress will balance the budget on the backs of the 98 percent, which is working Montanans and retired Montanans. We simply cannot afford these devastating cuts to vital services such as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid," –John Forkan, President, Montana Alliance for Retired Americans
"Along with national parks and Social Security, Medicare is one of the best ideas we Americans have ever devised." -Tim Cunningham, New Mexico Alliance Member
"Seniors have earned and deserve their Social Security checks, and they shouldn't have to go to Congress every 10 years and beg for the program to be renewed." –James Parent, Alliance for Retired Americans Regional Board Member
"Today's retirees paid Medicare and Social Security taxes in every paycheck we ever earned. Now that we are retired, these programs help us to be able to stay healthy and pay our bills. They are the promise we make to people who worked hard all their lives, and we need to keep that promise for today’s workers." –Tony Fransetta, President, Florida Alliance for Retired Americans
"Today's seniors want to lower the budget deficit. We do not want a large debt to be the legacy we leave to future generations, but we should not punish people who have paid Social Security taxes all their lives." –Jim Moore, President, North Carolina Alliance for Retired Americans
"Social Security should remain what it has been for 77 years – a solid, reliable way that generations of workers have been able to retire with dignity, economic security, and peace of mind." –Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
"The fight for Social Security and Medicare is part of a larger fight for justice and fairness"—Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
"The health insurance reform helps not just seniors, but also middle-class families and young Americans, who are just starting to see the benefits. Don’t let Republicans take all that away." –Don Rowen, President Emeritus, Iowa Alliance for Retired Americans
"Honoring the promise of Social Security and Medicare should not be a partisan issue. Honoring the contributions that we make throughout our working years so that we may feed and clothe ourselves, keep a roof over our heads and those of our family, there is no reason for that to be a hotly contested partisan issue." –Edward Coyle, former Executive Director, Alliance for Retired Americans
"We need to make sure that people who need Social Security to make ends meet will have it, and not fall victim to ill-informed and unnecessary cuts to these vital programs."
–Barbara J. Easterling, President, Alliance for Retired Americans
Links Alliance Members may find helpful:
- Administration on Aging Provides a comprehensive overview of a wide variety of topics, programs and services related to aging.
- Aging With Grace Aging with Grace is a national eldercare resource management company that works with union members and retirees to address elder caregiver stress. One phone call to an Eldercare Specialist can identify where you are in your current caregiver situation, where you need to be and how to get there!
- Leadership Council of Aging Organizations (LCAO) - The Alliance for Retired Americans is part of the Leadership Council of Aging Organizations. It is a large coalition of the nation's non-profit organizations serving older Americans. This 66-member association is diverse and dedicated to preserving and strengthening the well-being of America’s older population. It seeks to provide a voice for seniors and their families in the ongoing national debate on aging policy. Check this website for the most recent resolutions and letters to Congress.
- Pension Rights Center - Founded in 1976, the Pension Rights Center is the nation's only consumer organization dedicated solely to protecting and promoting the retirement security of American workers, retirees, and their families.
- Institute for Women's Policy ResearchA leading national resource on women’s income security, and especially the economic security of women in retirement and the possible effects of Social Security privatization on women.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Retiree Resources
- http://www.lgbtagingcenter.org/resources/resources.cfm?a=3 Retirees in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Community
- http://www.lgbtagingcenter.org/resources/index.cfm?s=27 Transgender and Aging
- The League of Women Voters A nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. LWV does not support or oppose any political party or any candidate. They do, however, take action on selected government issues in the public interest.
- PolitiFact.com A project of the St. Petersburg Times, Politifact.com uses a "Truth-o-Meter" to rank the amount of truth in public persons' statements.
- The Ed Show Veteran talk radio host Ed Schultz hosts 'The Ed Show' from 8 to 9 p.m. EST, Mondays through Thursday and features edgy debates and discussions. Ed Schultz has a reputation for picking up on and reporting on working people's issues when no one else will. The Wisconsin Alliance for Retired Americans honored him at their September 2011 Power Lunch. His radio show is heard on a large network of stations and on XM and Sirius satellite radio.
- The Labor Exchange on KGNU Community Radio (Boulder, CO) airs every other Monday at 6:00 PM and features interviews with local and national labor activists, workers and retirees. You can listen to the shows online here any time.
- Union Edge Radio Talk Show A national radio and internet-based public affairs outlet for unions and progressives to express their views to the public and build support for issues that are important to Working Families.
- Mesothelioma - Provides step-by-step guidance, cancer support, and a free asbestos information and resource guide.
- www.MesotheliomaHelp.org - Connects patients and caregivers with asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma. Featuring a live chat option 24/7, live Q & A sessions, and much more, this online interactive community strives to raise awareness for Mesothelioma.
Also - The Mesothelioma Center provides vital services and free sources for patients and families affected by mesothelioma cancer. To find recommended doctors and read about treatment options and Mesothelioma Life Expectancy Information, visit www.asbestos.com.